Tuesday, December 11, 2018

#3: Safe Arrival to Sierra Leone

(We received this email from Elder Fowler on Monday, December 10, 2018)

   You're probably sleeping right now since it is like 3:00am in the morning, but today the MTC has given us time to email home before we leave for the mission field in the morning.  My flight leaves either at 4:00am or 7:00am and I'm hoping it's not 4:00am!  Earlier this week, President Allen and I were talking with the doctor about my back issues. (due to his sky diving accident back in March he has 4 inflamed disks that cause him pain and he had it under control before leaving but sitting on a plane for his 18+ hour flight, and sitting in classes 10-12 hrs a day has caused him to be in a good amount of pain) They gave me a choice of whether to stay or return home for care, which was harder than the choice to serve a mission or not. After conversing with he Lord on if I should go home and get my back fixed and then come back out, or fight through the pain and keep serving, the only response I got was, "I love you." I was upset because it wasn't the answer I wanted.  When I was talking with President Allen, he gave the the best advice I could've gotten right there and then.  He said, "That is the answer; He'll love you  no matter what you choose."  And so, I decided to move forward with faith and put my trust in Him.  There's a reason why the Lord called me here and I'm not willing to give up yet on Him, for he has saved my life.  We then talked with President Baggett on the phone and he was able to find something the doctor and I felt would  help with my back (T.E.N.S Unit).  It was another answer to prayer because I had worried so much about what I would be able to do.  Thank you so much for your prayers and fasting on my behalf. (We sent the unit to him today and he should get it on Monday)

    Tomorrow is the day I leave for Sierra Leon and I'm praying the food isn't like what we had last night for dinner-leather!  Yes, I said leather, like cow's skin and man was that nasty!  It was chewy and still had fur on it and everything!  Elder Morgan and I were like so grossed out, we wanted to throw up when we tasted it. 

 I love you guys and pray for you daily.  I know the Lord is watching over you and is blessing our lives so much.  This week I won't be doing a mass email so you will need to add something to the blog.  Next time we talk, it'll be from Sierra Leone and boy am I excited!
Love you today, tomorrow and forever.
-Elder Fowler

(Letter that the mission President's wife sent):

11 December 2018

Dear Family of Elder Fowler,

We are delighted to have received your son today from the Ghana MTC.  He has received further orientation and training here in Freetown at the Mission Home and will receive more in the morning.  After lunch tomorrow, he will travel to his area of service and meet his trainer.

We have enjoyed our initial meeting with him and feel he is a great addition to our mission.

Thank you for helping him prepare to be a great missionary!  The missionary work here is very productive and it will be a life-changing experience for him, as well as the people whose lives he will touch.

Your fellow servants,
Sister Toi Clawson and President Kevin Clawson
Sierra Leone Freetown Mission

Sister Clawson, Elder Fowler and President Clawson

All those who entered the mission field in 
Sierra Leone-Freetown


No comments:

Post a Comment